Saturday, July 28, 2007

More food, more vegetables

Today was, again, insanely hot outside. I had planned on doing schoolwork all day, but my mom asked if I wanted to go to the valley with her (a day trip) so I figured I could just go and do schoolwork in the car (yeah, right). As there's not much choice for vegetarian meals there (not that I know of, anyway) it was important to bring good food. I started off with eating a good macrobiotic breakfast.

Millet Porridge from The Self-Healing Cookbook: millet, turnip and leafy greens (I used swiss chard), seasoned with a bit of gomashio

Then, for a lunch I could take with me, I decided to use the Vegan with a Vengeance Chickpea-Hijiki Salad Sammiches recipe, which became (due to lack of certain ingredients) a chickpea/fava-wakame sandwich.

Chickpea/fava-wakame sandwich on ezekiel bread with balcony garden-grown lettuce

This sandwich is meant to be kind of like a tuna sandwich. I must say, the filling was very convincingly fishy-looking (as in it looked like fish). It didn't taste particularly like tuna, but I don't care, and that could've been because of my substitutions, anyway. It was alright.

My mom pampered me. On the way out of the city I had asked if we could stop in at the Bulk Barn so I could stock up (it's a pain in the ass to take the bus there), and she insisted on paying for everything I got. I bought short-grain brown rice, millet, barley, cornmeal, prunes, walnuts, coconut, bulgar, sunflower seeds, black beans, and I don't remember what else. Large amounts, and the bill was around $20. Very good deal, and apparently students get a 10% discount on Wednesdays (not that today was a Wednesday), which is even better.

Later on we went to a little farm market and got lots of local vegetables (corn, tomatoes, cucumber, broccoli, green beans, onions, garlic & turnip) as well as local raspberries and plums. Mmmmm.... Now I don't have any reason to get up early and go to the farmer's market downtown tomorrow morning because I've got everything I need. Which means that I have the morning off. And what do I do when I have the morning off? I make brunch!

More on that later.

No comments: