Friday, July 20, 2007

Fruit Salad + More Strawberries!

Well, my mom just dropped off some more strawberries, so expect another strawberry recipe soon (although I hear it's the last week of the season and I only get strawberries when they're local, so after this week, that'll be it for the strawberry recipes).

A couple of weeks ago I had an over-abundance of fruit and decided to make a fruit salad. Me making fruit salad is rare because I love fruit so much that usually I'll just eat it as is instead of bothering to make anything out of it, but when there's too much, I have to get creative. I was pretty happy with my fruit salad - it was light, had a nice combination of textures and the right amount of tang. Here is the recipe:

Fruit Salad with Walnuts and Mint

3 kiwis, peeled and chopped
1 banana, sliced
1 1/2 cups of strawberries, hulled and chopped
1 pear, cored and chopped
1 apple, cored and chopped
1/3 cup orange juice
3 tbsp walnuts, chopped
1 tbsp fresh mint, finely chopped

Prepare the fruit and combine in a large bowl. Pour the orange juice over the fruit, then sprinkle on the walnuts and mint. Toss to combine, and voila! Makes 4-5 servings

*I think this recipe would work also with different combinations of fruit. I'm not sure about cantaloupe or honeydew or grapefruit, but probably oranges, grapes or other berries. Differing amounts of the fruit listed would probably also be fine. But I think the walnuts and mint are a must.


Sorry I don't have a photo of this recipe, maybe I will sometime in the future.

2 comments:

goulo-goulo said...

I think that salad is toooo sweet... however, that ain't bad. Excellent fruit-combo! Packs a powerful punch.

goulo-goulo said...

How come you have no new recipes!? This is still my favorite blog though. Best kitchen on the net!