Sunday, July 29, 2007

Breakfast food, comfort food

Pancakes from Vegan with a Vengeance, served Canadian style (or, at least, people tell me it's Canadian style, when you cut up all the pancake before eating it)
And now, just the pancakes

I love breakfast, it is without a doubt my favourite meal. Anyway, yesterday I was all excited to get up early and pick up ingredients to make tempeh bacon (from Vegan with a Vengeance), some sort of potato dish, and roasted vegetables for breakfast. However, this plan kind of fell apart after my alarm failed to go off (or, at least, I don't remember hitting snooze repeatedly) so I didn't have time to go to the grocery store and stuff before work. So I settled with pancakes, using the recipe from Vegan with a Vengeance. It promised 'straight-up pancakes, just like at the diner at 2am' and that sounded appealing at the time. They were pretty good, better than the classic pancakes recipe from How it all Vegan (previously my standard pancake recipe). They made a slightly smaller amount than the other recipe, which was a good thing because I could whip 'em up in 25 minutes (start to finish) and wasn't too full afterwards (Josh wished there were more, but he likes to stuff himself).

Saturday was a long day for me, and after working and then spending almost 6 hours painting, scrubbing floors and inhaling paint fumes (taking down an exhibition I was part of that did quite a number on the gallery that we had to put back to its initial state) all I wanted was some beer and potatoes. I don't like beer most of the time (actually, the thought of it usually makes me feel sick), but sometimes it has its place, especially blueberry ale. So we picked up some Pumphouse blueberry ale and I made Baked Cajun French Fries from
Vegan with a Vengeance and roasted some zucchini and carrots to munch on and drink while settling down to watch an Art 21 DVD (yes, I am a nerd).

Baked Cajun French Fries from Vegan with a Vengeance with roasted veggies (blueberry ale in back)

Sunday morning's breakfast was slightly more nutritious than Saturday's:

Breakfast Veggie Chorizo from Vegan with a Vengeance, Cinnamon Cornmeal Muffin from The Everyday Vegan, steamed broccoli with Mi-So Good Gravy (also from The Everyday Vegan), and iced green tea (although not the best image of it)

For the tea, I just brewed some green tea, refrigerated it, and added a squirt of lemon juice and some agave nectar (I bought agave for the first time a couple of weeks ago and I think it's the only vegan non-sugar sweetener that tastes good with tea - it's very nice). The muffins were alright, but I wasn't too fond of the chorizo. It had a nice, meaty texture (although I don't know what normal chorizo is), but the flavour was just too strong for a side dish on its own. I think it would probably taste better mixed with rice or in a burrito or something. Josh agreed that the flavour was really strong, but it didn't bother him as much.

More of the muffins

1 comment:

goulo-goulo said...

It's too bad you weren't find of the Chorizo. I thought it was fantastic. Different strokes for different folks I guess. I'm looking forward to a cake recipe.